Public beta testers can be stuck on iOS 12.1.3 at the moment, but not for long. Apple can release the first public beta for iOS 12.2 as soon as today. The company released the first developer beta for the software yesterday, January 24, which includes new features for HealthKit and News, as well as a number of tips on upcoming developments.
While Apple could release public beta 1 as soon as this afternoon, it is possible that the software will take longer to arrive. For example, iOS 12.1's first public beta was released two days after its dev beta, and MacRumor's beta expert Banglazed claims that the update might be staged during dev beta 2. Still, keep your eyes open, as beta may release at any time.
Although iOS 12.2 is the first major numbered iOS release since October, the "official" new feature is not something to necessarily write home about. According to Apple's release instructions, high, low and irregular heartbeat messages are now read-only files in the Health app, and the news application now works in Canada in both English and French.
Apple Pay Known Issues
- You may not be able to authenticate within Wallet after choosing a card. (44919900) Solution: On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked and then select the desired card in your wallet and verify before you hold your iPhone near the reader. IPhone X X S iPhone X S Max and iPhone X R double click on the side button, select the desired card in the wallet and verify with facial ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
Cellular Known Issues
- You may not be able to purchase a prepaid data plan using mobile data. (47272516) Solution: Connect to Wi-Fi and then buy the plan.
HealthKit New Features
- High and low heart rate messages and irregular heart beat messages are now available as read-only category samples. (46422154)
News New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2, and is now available to Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when following a channel in a second language. Note! Publications in beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as often as they will be in the freight product.
Siri Known Issues
- Siri does not work in iOS simulators. (46681836)
Not included in Apple's release notes, however, are new features that are more exciting. According to the 9to5Mac, we see a "Hey Siri" setup interface for the upcoming AirPods 2, the tips for AirPlay 2 support in the HomeKit app, a new screen mirror icon in the Control Center, a new Control Center tile for the Apple TV remote now working with AirPlay 2 TV, a new look for "Last Transactions" details in Wallet, a premium Apple News service available in the works, a new Air Quality switch in Maps and a music player in Siri, where applicable.
To update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 public beta 1 when available, you must first sign up for the beta program and have a valid configuration profile. If you have enabled iOS 12 new "Automatic Updates", you can have the software updated overnight. To download beta right now, start Settings, select "General" and then "Software update." Click on "Download and install" and then follow the instructions on the screen.