Apple released iOS 12.2 beta 4 to developers on Monday, March 4, which means that public beta testers are likely to receive the update on Tuesday. The update includes a new "News" app, a new "Apple TV Remote" in the Control Center, and a tweaked "About" page, except obviously updates under headers. If you are not on the beta now, it is the chance to see it yourself.
Updates in beta 4 may be smaller, but they are a step in the right direction. The Apple News icon looks more like the one we saw in a past beta directly in the app, so it just makes sense that it would change on the outside as well. The new Apple TV Remote icon is now just a distant image instead of an Apple TV icon, indicating that you can use it with third-party TVs with AirPlay 2 support. It is also shown in the updated, now playing plates of the Siri, Control Center and the lock screen, along with new volume icons.
You will also see an updated Site that groups storage information. Apple has already tweaked the layout of the About page, but it continues to make the information more organized.
We know that beta 4 is likely to introduce new bug fixes during the fine, which all beta updates usually do to create a more stable version of the software that came before. Since there are no major updates this time around, Apple will likely use this update as an opportunity to address only stability within 12.2.
Release Notes are identical to beta 3. Any known problem, solved problem and new feature from iOS 12.2 beta 3 is shown in beta 4's release notes, with no new additions of any kind. This does not mean that this software is identical, it just means that some corrections or changes are too small to list here.
App Store – Promote Your New Offers Subscriptions
StoreKit now supports subscription offers in addition to introductory offers, so apps with auto-renewable subscriptions can soon offer discounted rates for some duration for existing and formerly subscribed customers. You will be able to use subscription offers to help win back subscribers who have canceled their subscriptions or are upgrading to a different subscription at a special price. Customers can accept the offer, even if they have already made an initial offer.
StoreKit introduces a new series of SKProductDiscount objects within the SKProduct class to show offers within your app to authorized customers. Add a new SKPaymentDiscount item within the SKPayment class to allow these offers to be accepted by the customer.
Apple Pay – Known Issues
- You may not be able to authenticate within Wallet after selecting a card. (44919900) Solution: On an iPhone with Touch ID, double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked and then select the desired card in the wallet and verify before holding your iPhone near the reader. IPhone X S iPhone X S Max and iPhone X R double click on the page button, select the desired card in the wallet and verify with facial ID before holding your iPhone near the reader.
Cellulose Solved Problems
- Solved a problem that prevented prepaid data plan purchases using mobile data. (47272516)
HealthKit – New Features
- High and low heart rate messages and irregular heart beat messages are now available as read-only category sample types. (46422154)
iCloud Photos – Resolved issues
- Images shared with sharing suggestions are now correctly added. (47401696)
Lock Screen – Solving Problems
- The device charge level no longer remains on the lock screen after removing the unit from a charger. (47363913)
News – New Features
- Apple News will be available in Canada with iOS 12.2 and is now available to Canadian users on the developer beta. Apple News in Canada supports both English and French. Readers can access a bilingual experience when following a channel in a second language. Note! Publications in beta do not reflect all content that will be available. Top Stories and Digests are not updated as often as they will be in the freight product.
Siri – Resolved Problems
- Siri works in iOS simulators. (46681836)
To download and update your iPhone to iOS 12.2 dev beta 4, you must first be a registered developer with a valid configuration profile. If you have enabled "Automatic Updates" in iOS 12, you can have the software updated overnight. To install right now, start the Settings app, select "General" and then "Software update." Click on "Download and install" and then follow the screens on the screen.
Beta Testers Know that iOS 12.2 will be a major update over 12.1.4. The software includes at least 19 new and exciting features, including enhanced AirPlay 2 support, new Animoji and a newly developed Apple TV remote control in the Control Center, to name but a few. In fact, the list continues to evolve, as new versions of 12.2 beta add more features and changes. Who knows what Apple will add to the next.