When it comes to iOS beta updates, developers get their updates first, and when they do, public testers play the pending game. Sometimes Apple releases the public version three hours later. Other times it waits 24 hours. It's a dice troll almost every time. As for iOS 13.4 public beta 2, it's the latter case, which comes exactly after developer beta 2.
To be specific, 13.4 public beta 2 came out today, February 20, at 1 PM EST (10 AM PST) ). We've had the pleasure of testing the dev version for 24 hours, so we've had plenty of time to see what beta 2 would include. The answer? Not lots, but not a little either.
Brand new in beta 2 is a series of settings for the TV app. Under the new Streaming Options there are:
- Use Cellular Data : Switched off, but you can enable it to stream movies and TV shows when Wi-Fi is not available. Just make sure your mobile plan can handle all this data.
- Cellular : If you turn on "Use Mobile Data", you can select "Data Saver" (up to 600 MB per hour) or "High Quality" (uses more data but does not specify).
- Wi-Fi : Here you can select the same "Data Saver" and "High Quality" options. But Data Saver goes up to 1 GB per hour. Data Saver can be handy when connected to a personal hotspot or when low on bandwidth.
There is also a new download option with the following options.
- Use Cellular Data : Just like the flow setting above and also by default.
- Cellular : Select "Fast Download" or "High Quality" with "Use Cellular Data". The latter will take longer.
- Wi-Fi : There are also "Fast Downloads" and "High Quality" here.
- Audio Language : If you want to listen to a movie or TV series in a language other than your current region, you can add audio for other languages. Matching subtitles will also be included for each language, as well as audio descriptions if enabled in Accessibility. If your selected language is not available for a movie or TV show, Apple will use the default language.
The email toolbar now looks more like it did in iOS 12. The first beta reloaded the Move and Flag button, but beta 2 removes the brief return of Flag to throw back into the composite shortcut. Apple should really only add Flag again to match iOS 12 since they are already thinking about it.
According to Apple's release notes, the QuickType keyboard supports predictive input for Arabic and live conversion for Japanese and Chinese (Zhuyin). The update also fixes an issue where the Siri interface in CarPlay may not work as expected.
You can see the full release notes below:
iOS & iPadOS 13.4 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 13.4. SDK comes with Xcode 11.4, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on Xcode 11.4 compatibility requirements, see Xcode 11.4 Release Notes Beta 2.
General – Known Issues
- After a user has viewed specific app settings and then returned to the main settings page, the Settings app may quit unexpectedly. (59124369
- To install iOS 13.4 beta 2 with the reset image, first install Xcode 11.4 beta 2.
CarPlay – Fixed Issues
- Fixed an issue where the Siri interface may not display as expected. (58685659 )
Keyboards – New Features
- QuickType keyboard now supports predictive input for Arabic.
- QuickType keyboard now supports live conversion for Japanese and Chinese (Zhuyin).
- Keyboard now supports Swiss German layout for 12.9 "iPad layout.
Keyboard – Solved Problems
- 12.9" iPad multi-language layouts now closely match the hardware keyboard layouts.
Location Services – New Features  When an app always requests permission for the first time after having been previously approved for While using the app, the device immediately displays location authorization prompt. (57106235)
Photos – New Features
- New keyboard shortcuts are available in Photos on iPadOS, which allows you to quickly navigate between tabs, search and create albums. When in full screen mode, you can also delete, duplicate and enter edit mode with a keyboard. (57195967)
Photos – Known Issues
- Photos may not sync as expected to the Apple Watch. (59324590)
RealityKit – Solved Problems
- The code-generated loading methods load Reality Files. (58925510)
SwiftUI – New Features
- When using a multi-column NavigationView, the navigation bar now displays a control to switch the columns. (49074511)
- OnDrag and onDrop modifiers are now available on iOS. (49661347)
You can see how strong an beta 2 update is compared to the beta 1 feature list:
- 9 New Memoji stickers
- An update Email toolbar with options "Move" and "Flag"  Developers can now sell iOS and macOS apps as a purchase
- iCloud folder sharing is back; Family Sharing Integration is Now Supported on TV
- Third-Party Navigation and Support for New Call Controls in CarPlay
- Home Button iPhones Control Center is similar to Face ID device design, with network information at top left and battery information at top right
- When an app that has previously been approved for "While using the app" location permissions request "Always" authorization, your iPhone will then display the location permission prompt
- You can now create Shazam shortcuts
- A new "Always listen to & # 39; Hey Siri & # 39; " options that listen for commands even when your iPhone is down or covered
- You see a new temporary VPN-disabled icon in the status bar
- You can tell Siri to go to the home screen
- Apple Music lyrics identify instrument sections with a ellipsis
To download and install iOS 13.4 public beta 2, register via Apple's beta page, download and install the configuration profile, and then update over the air. If you already have the profile, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to begin the installation of the latest beta, or you can wait until it is installed automatically if "Automatic Updates" is enabled.