Apple just released the third public beta for iOS 14.2 today, Wednesday, October 14. This update includes new glyphs for HomePod mini and Beats Flex, support for HomePod’s upcoming new “Intercom” feature, new core media features, and SwiftUI fixes.
Intercom is a HomePod feature that works across iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches. With it, you can ask Siri to forward a message to a specific HomePod in your house, as if you were talking through an intercom.
This update comes a day after Apple released iOS 14.2 developer beta 3, which the company released shortly after their iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro announcements. Apple will seed public testers this update at 10 PDT.
Version information for iOS and iPadOS 14.2 Beta 3
IOS & iPadOS 14.2 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14.2. SDK comes with Xcode 12.2 beta 3, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.2, see Xcode 12.2 Beta 3 Release Notes.
General: Known issues
- Restore Image updates are not currently supported for iPad Pro 11-inch (second generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (fourth generation). A former user Italy (70176642) Work around: Use Software Update instead.
Core Media: New features
- Support for multiple concurrent AVURLAss instances on offline HLS file system URLs has been improved.
- You can now use multiple concurrent AVPlayerItem objects and other AVFoundation objects on offline HLS assets with ready-made AVMediaSelection objects without triggering network scans.
- The avMediaSelection order progress bar logic for AVAggregateAssetDownloadTask has been improved. A former user Germany (64551736)
- Images with a high contrast catalog are used correctly by Image in an environment with colorSchemeContrast ==. Increased. A former user Italy (65164844)
- An image embedded in text is no longer displayed incorrectly in widgets. A former user Germany (69392317)
- The menu label text can now be entered as expected. A former user Germany (68824462)
- Xcode previews no longer end unexpectedly when you preview a view with FetchRequest. A former user Italy (65544435)
How to update to the latest beta
To update your iPhone to iOS 14.2 public beta 3, sign up through Apple’s beta website, download and install the configuration profile, and then update over the air. If you already have the profile, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to start the installation of the latest beta, or you can wait until it installs automatically if “Automatic Updates” is enabled.
Keep your connection secure without a monthly bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix without any regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% off)>