Apple just released the iOS 14 developer beta 7 for iPhone today, Thursday, September 3. The new update has new background options. Now you can choose any color background for the rainbow background, and iOS turns the background black when you activate dark mode.
These new dynamic wallpaper options replace the old static colors, which means you will not be able to see a color background on your rainbow background with dark mode enabled. Of course, this is beta software, so Apple can change things along the way. You will find the new options in the “Still Images” section of your background settings.
As for bug fixes that you may notice coming from beta 6, here’s what we found:
- The overlay that appears when you connect AirPods now displays the correct information
- Your Mail signature will no longer be duplicated if you close a draft and reopen it.
- On iPadOS, the weather widget no longer unexpectedly always has site access.
The update comes nine days after Apple released iOS 14 beta 6 to developers and public testers. Apple released this update at 10 a.m. PDT, the company’s standard version for developer beta updates. If you are a public beta tester, this update is not for you. Instead, you have to wait for Apple to release iOS 14 public beta 7, which we expect to see today at 13 PDT, or tomorrow at 10 PDT.
iOS 14 Developer Beta 7 full versions
Apple has not yet released the release notes for developer beta 7. These days, the company is actually slow to publish these notes, sometimes waiting up to an hour after a software update. When Apple publishes the release notes, we publish them below.
Release Notes for iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 7
IOS & iPadOS 14 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14. SDK comes with Xcode 12 beta 6, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12 beta 6, see Xcode 12 Beta 6 Release Notes.
General: Known issues
Important – Updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta from previous versions of iOS & iPadOS may take significantly longer than expected. Data loss may occur if the update is interrupted. A former user Germany (59101197)
- macOS Big Sur 11 beta or Xcode 12 beta may be required to sync or update devices running iOS and iPadOS 14 beta.
Apple Security Bounty
- iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 7 is designated as eligible for 50% Apple Security Bounty bonus payment for issues unknown to Apple or reintroduced in this release. See Apple Security Bounty for more information.
App Store: known issues
Core Haptics: Known Issues
Fonts: Known issues
- As of iOS & iPadOS 14 beta, fonts installed using configuration profiles are only available for apps that support font APIs and permissions introduced in iOS and iPadOS 13. If your app has a custom font selection interface, it can not no longer access fonts installed via configuration profiles. For reference, see WWDC 2019 Session Font Management and Text Scaling (55317428)
Home screen: known issues
- Spotlight may not appear as expected. (64121178) Work around: Restart your device.
- The signature is no longer duplicated if you close a draft and reopen it. A former user Italy (66843208)
Maps: known issues
- After updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 2 or later, user data, such as Favorites, Collections, and News, will no longer sync with devices running earlier versions of iOS and iPadOS. (65005848)
Safari and WebKit: Solved
SwiftUI: Known issues
- The leading navigation bar, the following navigation bar and the lower bar layout leading to the following. automatic toolbar objects no longer flow to the bottom bar by default. Use the ToolbarItemGroup with a bottomBar placement to place items in the bottom bar. A former user Italy (66790502)
- Kids in multi-column navigationViewStyle (__ 🙂 views now have the correct default format and environment on iOS and iPadOS:
- Multiple columns navigationViewStyle (__ 🙂 views that only specify a single subview, and then get an empty placeholder view, do not get the new behavior. Enter a clear placeholder view to select the new behavior.
- Multi-column navigationViewStyle (__ 🙂 that uses a single ForEach to generate columns does not get the new behavior. Scroll down ForEach to select the new behavior. (62699768)
Third-party apps: known issues
- Apps that use JSONKit may quit unexpectedly at launch. Some forks with JSONKit hardcode private, pointer representation details, which may change. A former user Italy (60290929) Work around: Use NSJSONSerialization instead.
- fstab has been removed. You can no longer use file system content outside the app’s sandbox for validation. A former user Italy (61098152)
- Apps that use the NativeScript framework may quit unexpectedly at launch. NativeScript performs an uncertain operation to determine if an arbitrary pointer is an Objective-C object pointer. You can temporarily solve the problem by using object__getClass (__ 🙂 instead of reading isa directly; however, update this code to avoid checking if arbitrary pointers are Objective-C object pointers. A former user Germany (62913064)
Wallet: known problems
- isPassLibraryAvailable () does not ensure uniform availability of passport library functionality between platforms and devices. (60697880) Work around: Call a more specific API to check available functionality, such as canAddPasses ().
Widgets – known issues
- Once the parent app for a widget has been granted access to selected photos, a warning may appear each time the widget is run. A former user Italy (66398732) Work around: Add PHPhotoLibraryPreventAutomaticLimitedAccessAlert = YES to Info.plist for the widget extension.
- All widgets must be rebuilt using iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 4 SDK or later and will not run on previous versions of iOS & iPadOS 14 beta. (65290210)
- Some widgets may disappear from your home screen after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 2 or later. A former user Italy (64823469) Work around: Return the missing widgets to your home screen.
- You cannot resize an existing widget. (63500799) Work around: Remove the widget and add it again to the desired size.
- You may need to reconfigure your widgets after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 3 or later. A former user Italy (65485709)
- The weather widget may appear empty after updating to iOS 14 beta 6 or later. A former user Italy (66782070) Work around: Tap the widget to open the Weather app, then return to the widget on the Home screen.
- On iPadOS, the weather widget no longer unexpectedly always has site access. A former user Italy (66922805)
The weather widget can now determine your location. A former user Italy (66929312)
To update your iPhone to iOS 14 beta 7, you must be a registered developer. You can use the recovery image for your iPhone available in the Developer Portal (install using iTunes or Finder) or install the configuration profile and then update over the air. If you already have the profile installed on your iPhone, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to start installing the latest beta, or you can wait until it installs automatically if “Automatic Updates” is enabled.
Keep your connection secure without a monthly bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% off)>