With nearly 149 million paid subscribers, Netflix is the largest television and movie streaming service in the world. Even with Disney Plus molding a very large shadow, Netflix will not go away anytime soon.
Read: Hulu vs Netflix: Which is right for you?
Having said that, even the world's largest streaming service is prone to problems. From video and language to log in and connection, there are some issues that will reduce your ability to enjoy Netflix. Here are some of the most common questions and possible corrections for them.
Netflix does not work – log in
Netflix is a good streaming service, but it is very useless if you cannot even log in. Here are some problems you may have with logging in and what to do about them:
- Enter the correct information. It may happen that you miss a letter, a number or a symbol here and there, so slow down and double check what you enter into the empty fields.
- Chat with other users in the same account. Someone may have changed the password and did not inform everyone else about the plan. Check with them first before taking the next step.
- Have the correct password. If you forgot your password, you can reset it by email, text message, voice call or billing information. For the latter option, make sure you have first name, last name and credit / debit card number at your site.
Netflix does not work – streaming problems
You log in to your Netflix account and find something to watch, just because the video should not be played. You may have a streaming problem, but don't worry – here are some things you can try to fix the situation.
- Power cycle your device. It's a meme, but restart the device. You can also restart the modem and router, but it is not always necessary.
- Uninstall and reinstall Netflix. You must log in again, but you can delete and reinstall the Netflix app again. Alternatively, you can force the app to close and open it.
- Check your connection. Netflix recommends a minimum download speed of 0.5 Mbps. Make sure your internet speed is up to par and contact your ISP if you encounter any interruptions.
- Update the Netflix app. In order for Netflix to communicate with servers, make sure you have the latest version of the app downloaded and installed on your device.
- Update your device. Similarly, make sure your device has the latest version of which operating system it is running.
- Check who is using Netflix. Only the standard and premium plans let you stream Netflix across multiple devices. When you reach that limit, no one else can stream Netflix if no one stops using it on their device.
- Clear the cache and data for the app or browser. Netflix data can be damaged, so be sure to clear the cache and data from either the Netflix app or your browser. If you use the app, log out of Netflix and log in before clearing the cache and data.
Netflix does not work – service issues
In addition to logging in and streaming, you can encounter problems with Netflix itself. For example, the app may not even open for you or the site may not work. Here are some solutions to such dilemmas:
- See if Netflix is down. Visit a website like DownDetector to see if Netflix is down or if Netflix has any server issues.
- Sign in again. Sometimes Netflix will be careful and not let you log in. If that happens, just enter your login details on the Netflix website to make sure everything is in working order. From there, update the data on your device and log in again.
- Update Netflix data. If there is a problem with the Netflix app or data on your device, update Netflix data. That being said, this step is usually limited to Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Smart TV.
- Clear Netflix cookies. The more you use Netflix, the more cookies the site creates. You can go to the browser settings and clear cookies if you have any problems.
- Change to another connection. It may just be that Wi-Fi or mobile connection you use does not work well at the moment. If you can, switch to another Wi-Fi connection. Alternatively, you can clear Netflix app data on your smartphone or tablet and restart the device.
These are some of the most common problems with Netflix, but they are not the only ones. If you're looking for solutions to issues we didn't cover, visit the Netflix Help Center and enter the error code. Alternatively, visit Netflix subreddit on Reddit to see if others have similar problems.
NEXT: I will hide Netflix for Disney Plus – here's why