Young people who have become cyberbullied are twice as likely to commit self-harm or attempt suicide, according to a study from 2018. One in three young people say they have been the target of cyberbullying, the study said.
Likewise, 73% of adults say they have witnessed online harassment and 40% reporting is the target itself, according to the Pew Research Center, a situation that can cause depression, anxiety and insomnia . Online hat groups can use these social platforms to organize ways to bring violence and threats to people in the real world .
Here's how you can anonymously report online harassment.
Facebook Photos, Posts and Messenger
You can report a photo or post, a group, or a message in Facebook Messenger. You can also warn Facebook if anyone threatens you.
Report a photo or post
- If you see an inappropriate photo or post that goes against Facebook's community standards, click or tap Give feedback on this post.
- Choose from the list of options, such as nudity, violence, harassment and more. Press or click Send .
Report a group
- Select the group you want to report. Press or click the button More .
- Select Give feedback or report group .
- Select from the list of options what is wrong with the group. Press or click Send .
Report a message in the Messenger app
- If someone harasses you in secret conversation in Messenger, tap their name at the top.
- Touch Block > Block on Messenger . You can also block them on Facebook from here.
- Go back and tap Something's Wrong .
- Choose from the list of options, such as harassment, suicide or self-harm, hate speech and more. Press Send feedback . The Facebook help team will receive the messages when you submit your report.
Twitter accounts and tweets
You can report a tweet or an entire account.
Report a Tweet
- Point or click
- Report Tweet and then select It is addictive or harmful .
- Choose from the options why it is abusive or harmful. Some alternatives include disrespectful or insulting [harassment] and targeting a group .
Report person's account
- On the person's profile, click or tap the icon with three stacked points.
- Press or click Report and select Their tweets are insulting or hateful or Their profile information and / or images contain existing or hateful content .
- Choose the reasons why the user is abusive or hateful. Some options are engaged in painted harassment threatening violence encourages suicide .
Instagram posts, profiles, comments and messages
Subscriptions, profiles, stories, comments and messages are all possible areas for online abuse.
Report a post, a profile or a story
- On the post or profile, tap the icon with three dots.
- ] Press Report then press It is inappropriate and choose a reason.
Report a comment
- Touch the message bubble icon. comment and press ! in the message bubble.
- A message will appear and ask why you are reporting the comment. Press Addictive Content .
- Choose a reason why it is abusive. Some alternatives are nudity hate speech and bullying .
Report a message
- On the Home screen, tap the arrow icon in the corner.
- Open the conversation.
- Touch and hold the message you want to report. Select Report .
You can also send a report to Instagram.
TikTok accounts, chats, comments and videos
The video-focused social network is especially aimed at young people.
Report an account or chat
- Go to the profile or conversation you want to report and tap the three-point icon.
- Press Report .
- Point to Post inappropriate content and choose a reason for bullying or hate speech. Press Send .
Report a comment
- Point and hold the comment you are reporting.
- Point to Report and follow the same instructions as above.
Report a video
- Report a video
- ] Click on the arrow icon on the video page.
- Press Report and follow the same instructions as above.
Snapchat Snaps, Stories and People
Nudity, hate speech and threats are some of your reporting options.
Report a snap or story
- On Snap, tap the three-point icon.
- Touch the white flag icon.
- Choose why you report Snap. Some alternatives are nudity hattal and threatening . Then press Send .
Report a user
- Keep on Snapchatter's name so their profile comes up.
- Touch the icon with three stacked dots and select Report .
- Choose why you are reporting the user.
If you're the target of online hat, don't just block the messages. Instead, take action and let someone know what happens. Call 911 if anyone threatens to hurt you. If you have suicidal thoughts due to bullying, contact National Suicide Prevention Lifeline online or call 1-800-273-8255.