Google Home hasbut for 72% of smart speaker owners, all they really want to do is play music. It's just that your or (the one with better sounding bass) is just as good as the streaming music service it's connected to. For that, you need to make sure you set it directly.
Connecting a music service to your Google home may sound like a basic task, but it is one that saves too many for "later" in the haste to set up their smart speakers. Do it, however, and your speakers may not play the exact music you request, especially if you are already paying for a streaming service like Spotify or Pandora.
But don't worry. Whether you already have a Google Home or Nest speaker, or if you set it up for the first time, you can take five minutes to make some simple adjustments, which can make the difference between limited access to the music you love and an almost unlimited world of musical possibilities.
How to find out what plans give you the best music experience on your Google Home or Nest smart speakers, and how to set them up so they work seamlessly.
Link your services and choose a default
If you do not link the music services you use to the Google Home app, you will wind up paper jams for a generic YouTube Music account with limited playback options and annoying ads. Same if you link your paid account but leave YouTube Music as the default service.
Every time you request a song, artist, genre or station without identifying which service you want to use, Google Home automatically tries to play your request from your standard service first, so you want to use the best you have got it.
To link your music services to Google Home:
1. Open the Google Home app and tap your profile icon in the upper right corner.
2. About halfway down the list, press Assistant Settings.
3. Press Services in the top menu bar and then press Music (for Sirius XM, press Radio ).
4. Find the services you use and click on the link icon (the chain link icon to the right of each service).
5. On the screen that appears, touch Link Account .
6. Enter your username and password for the service you are linking to and press Login .
Once you have linked all of your services, simply press the circle to the right of the one you want to use by default. (Note that SiriusXM cannot be set by default because it is a broadcast service.) You can also select No standard but with so many free services available, why would you do that?
How to choose your music service
Of the six options for Google home music services, you can only play music you can actually own. Google Play Music represents one of the last remaining remnants of this now-old-school way to drive music to all your devices. The future of music is obviously – and inevitably – in streaming.
Also note that none of the free plans that work with Google Home allow you to play specific songs on request. Rather, when you request an artist or song by name, the service will create a custom playlist inspired by your request. From there, it's a crapshoot whether the song you asked for plays or not.
Here are your six options for Google Home music service:
- YouTube Music is a relative newcomer, but the library is as robust as any of the others. As a huge bonus, the $ 10 YouTube Premium monthly plan not only promotes your music, but also gets rid of ads on YouTube videos.
- Google Play Music is basically YouTube Music plus a digital file cabinet, which sounds like a bonus until you find out that the $ 10 Google Play Music Family Plan per month doesn't get rid of YouTube video ads that YouTube Premium does.
- Pandora made a name for himself over a decade ago with the first algorithm-based radio stations. Nowadays, Pandora has two paid levels: $ 5 for ad-free music on request and $ 10 for the same plus you can create playlists.
- Spotify continues to hold the top list on CNET's list of best music streaming services, in part because it has the most versatile free level. That said, if you're considering hosting $ 10 a month for Spotify Premium, consider YouTube Premium instead of bonus ad-free videos.
- Deezer is considered to be the French rival to Sweden's Spotify, but beyond that we do not have much experience with the service. Although Deezer offers a free level, only the paid premium plan works with Google Home.
- SiriusXM routinely offers some incredible deals on Google Home devices besides being pay-to-play music services. Right now, you can get a smart screen from Nest Hub and six months of standard $ 69 SiriusXM service. That's $ 30 less than the unit currently costs.
Now that you've got your music situation on Google Home square, we recommend that you take your listening experience to the next level byfor better sound and response. If you have several Google Home smart speakers scattered around your house (and five minutes to save), you can also by just pressing a few settings. Finally, check out our preview of some of the that you can expect to see on Google Home devices 2020.