Samsung decided to jump into the collapsible category early and announced the Galaxy Fold in February 2019. After a big hiccup, Samsung released the phone four months later to praise. But Samsung is not done folding, as the new Galaxy Z Flip is just on the horizon.
Samsung announced the new collapsible smartphone along with the Galaxy S20, S20 + and S20 Ultra. Unlike Fold, Z Flip borrows a design from the past with the help of a clamshell style reminiscent of early 2000s flip phones. And while not cheap, it has the lowest price of any folding phone on the market.
Skip to section: Standout Features | Date | Storage | Price | Body | Basics | Software | Skin | Display | Performance | Battery | Front camera | Rear camera | Sound | Media Format | Sensors | Connection | Security | Box Contains
While the Galaxy Z Flip lacks the latest SoC from Qualcomm, it still uses the most powerful SoC on a collapsible phone, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. Unlike the Motorola RAZR, a phone of similar design, it uses a folding glass screen called Ultra Thin Glass. And for $ 1,380, it's also the cheapest foldable smartphone on the market.
The Galaxy Z Flip was announced on February 11 along with the Galaxy S20 series in San Francisco, California. There is no pre-order date, as the phone is released three days after the Valentine's Day announcement (February 14).
- Release Date: February 14, 2020
- Pre-Order Date: None
- Announcement Date: February 11, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will have a storage option, 256 GB. And just like Galaxy Fold, there is no support for microSD cards.
- Storage Available: 256 GB
- Expandable Storage: no
- Standard: UFS 3.0
Price for Everything
The Galaxy Z Flip will be priced at $ 1380, something that undercuts the Motorola RAZR . That makes it the most affordable collapsible right now, but it's still about 40% more than a comparable phone with a non-foldable screen.
Unlike the Galaxy Fold, the Galaxy Z Flip will use an ultra-thin glass on the Z Flip. If the glass is less than 100 microns thick, it can be reliably folded. But the glass Samsung uses here (developed by Dolnsys) is only 30 micrometers, so you can be sure it won't crack when you turn the phone closed.
Z Flip comes in three colors: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple and Mirror Gold.
- Frame: Aluminum, Glass (Gorilla Glass 6)
- Finish: Mirror Purple, Mirror Black, Mirror Gold
One of the best parts of this design is the ability to compress the phone into a smaller footprint when not in use. Folded, the phone is only 3.44 inches long and 2.90 inches wide. And because of the moss shell's design, only its length (6.61 inches) increases when folded. It is worth noting that the hinge portion is thicker than the lower edge when folded.
- Height: 3.44 inches (weighted) 6.59 inches (developed)
- Width: 2.90 inches
- Depth: 0.68 inches (weighted), 0.28 inches (developed)
- Weight: 6.46 oz
- Dust / Water Resistance: Unknown
- Supported Carriers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint  Infrared blaster: Unknown
Like the Galaxy S20 series, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will run the latest version of Android. Android 10 comes with built-in support for collapsible screens, which makes it easier for apps to scale to the new design.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will run One UI 2, the latest version of Samsung's skin running on Android 10.
In addition to the software is the new Flex mode. To activate, simply place the phone at 90 ° to which it can be locked (except 180 °). For apps that support it (such as the Camera app), the controls will move to the lower half and media will move to the upper half.
Like with the Galaxy Fold, Z Flip will have two screens, a 6.7 -inch main screen and a 1.06-inch external screen. The external screen, known as the Cover Screen, is a 300×116 Super AMOLED panel that displays time, charging speeds, battery information and various messages (basically it works as an always-on screen, which is no longer possible with the collapsible design). You can even use this screen to take selfies, use the screen as a very small viewfinder if you want.
As for the main screen, it has 2636 x 1080 resolution with a new aspect ratio of 22: 9. It will use a punch-hole design to accommodate a centered forward-facing camera similar to the Galaxy S20 series. The screen uses the newer Dynamic AMOLED panel which is Super AMOLED with HDR10 +. HDR10 + is the latest high-dynamic format that uses dynamic metadata, which adjusts the brightness limits for each frame, so that all frames are in optimum brightness.
- Screen size: 6.7 inches (folded out), 1.1 inches (folded)
- Screen resolution: 2636 x 1080 (unfolded), 300 x 112 (folded)
- Total pixels: 2,846,880 pixels (wide), 34,800 ( weighted)
- Pixel density: 425 ppi (wide), 303 ppi (weight)
- Screen type: Dynamic AMOLED (widened), Super AMOLED (folded)
- Cut-in: no
- Punch hole: yes (folded)
- Screen-to-body ratio: Unknown (wide), Unknown (folded)
- Aspect ratio: 21.9: 9 ( wide out), 2.59: 1 (folded)
- Minimum brightness: Unknown (wide out), Unknown (folded)
- Maximum brightness: Unknown (wide out), Unknown (folded) )
- Update Rate: 60 H z (60 Hz for touch detection)
- Color Temp: Unknown (Wide), Unknown (Weekly)
- Color Spectrum: Unknown (Wide), Unknown (Weight)
One aspect of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip that may miss fans is the use of 2019's flagship SoC, Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. The 855 Plus is identical to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 but with a slight overclocking on both the CPU and GPU side for better gaming performance. It uses a 7 nm process for improved energy efficiency.
RAM is more than enough for most 8 GB users. However, due to the older SoC, it will use the older LPRDDR4 standard instead of the LPRDDR5 available in the Galaxy S20 series.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+  Chip size: 7 nanometers
- CPU frequency: 2.95 GHz (gold) + 2.41 GHz (gold) + 1.78 GHz (silver)
- CPU cores: 8 (4 gold + 4 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- GPU frequency : 672 MHz
With two batteries, the Galaxy Z Flip has a total capacity of 3,300 mAh. Unlike the Galaxy S20 series, fast charging is limited to Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging, a technology based on Quick Charge 2.0 with a maximum power of 15 W. It also supports wireless charging via Qi charging, but at speeds of 9 W.  Battery: Rechargeable Lithium-ion
The front camera is housed in a hole on the main screen . We suspect it is the same Sony IMX374 camera found in Galaxy Fold, but so far this is unconfirmed. However, it shares similar specifications (10 MP, f / 2.4 aperture, a field of view of 80 ° and a pixel size of 1.22 µm). For video, you can record up to 4K at 30 fps.
- Resolution: 10 MP
- Opening: f / 2.4
- Pixel Size: 1.22 um
- Sensor Size: 1 / 3.2 "
- Zoom: no
- Flash: yes, screen flash
- Image stabilization: no
- RAW support: yes  Object detection: yes, face
- Format: JPEG, RAW
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has dual rear camera, each camera is 12 MP, one with a wide-angle lens and the other an ultra-wide lens. a f / 1.8 aperture and a 78 ° field of view, while the ultra-wide has an f / 2.2 aperture and a field of view of 123 ° For the flash, Samsung once again included its high CRI LED flash. OIS is only available on the primary camera (wide angle)
- Resolution: 12 MP (primary), 12 MP (ultra wide))
- Sensor size: Unknown
- Aperture: f / 1.8 (primary), f / 2.2 (ultra wide)
- Zoom: yes, 1x optical, 8x digital
- Flash: yes, High CRI LED
- Image Stabilization: Yes, Primary
- RAW Support : Yes
- Lens Protection: Sapphire Crystal
- Object Detection: Yes, Food, Faces
- Formats: JPEG, RAW
The highest resolution for video recording is 4K at 60 fps. HDR10 + is also supported for video recording. Super slow motion (up to 960 fps) is supported, but video recording is limited to 0.4 seconds (this duration doubles to 0.8 seconds if you lower the frame rate to 480 fps). Super Steady, Samsung's enhanced stabilization, is also available when shooting at 1080p or lower resolution.
- Resolution: 720p, 1080p, 4K
- Max frame rate: 720p at 30fps, 1080p at 60 fps, 4K at 60 fps
- Slow motion: 720p at 960 fps, 1080p at 240 fps (limited duration)
- Time lapse: yes, 1080p
- Photos: yes, 9.1 MP still images during 4K recording
- Zoom: yes, 8x digital zoom
- Flash access: yes, see above
- Image stabilization: yes, VDIS (digital digital image stabilization)
- Object detection: Unknown
- Auto focus: tracking AF
- Audio: stereo
- Formats: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC)
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a single mono speaker located on the bottom of the phone. For Bluetooth and USB-C headphones, you can add surround sound with Dolby Atmos. For those who love hi-fi audio, the Galaxy Z Flip supports up to 32-bit audio.
- 3.5 mm headphone jack: no
- Stereo speakers: yes, front and bottom shooting  Mics: Unknown
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip shares the same audio and file formats as the Galaxy S20 series.
- Audio: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
- Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
The usual range of sensors is in the Galaxy Z Flip.
- Sensors: accelerometer, barometer, gyro sensor, geomagnetic sensor, hall sensor, proximity sensor, RGB light sensor
Galaxy Z Flip does not support dual frequency satellite navigation. In addition, coverage via the Galileo and BeiDou satellite navigation systems is limited.
- GPS: yes, L1
- aGPS: yes
- Glonass: yes, L1
- BeiDou: yes, B1
- Galileo: yes, E1
- QZSS: no
Galaxy Z Flip is limited to Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). NFC is available on board as well as a USB Type-C port for wired connections. The Galaxy Z Flip is a dual SIM device that uses both an eSIM and a nano-SIM.
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac
- Bluetooth: 5.0  NFC: yes
- Cellular: eSIM and nano- SIM
- Port: USB Type-C
Like a Galaxy Fold, it uses a side mounted fingerprint scanner. There is also a non-3D face lock using the forward facing camera (housed in the punch hole).
As usual, Knox is on board for software and hardware security and protects against manipulation and other attacks. There is a built-in anti-virus scanner powered by McAfee. And the secure folder is available to keep sensitive files and other data separate from the rest of your data.
- Fingerprint scanner: yes, side mounted (capacitive)
- Face scanner: no  Iris scanner: no
- Manual authentication: password, PIN, pattern
The Galaxy Z Flip comes with a protective case and AKG USB-C earphones.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Data Cable
- Travel Adapter
- Ejection Pin
- USB Connector (OTG)
- Quick Start Guide
- Clear Cover
- Headphones (USB Type-C) with audio by AKG
Become an Android phone expert with our Ultimate Guide to Android eBook.
Buy now for $ 1.00>