Gmail's new scheduling feature is here, and it may be best to happen with email because sliced bread (we're pretty sure it's really a thing that happened to email). If you haven't used it, you miss you. This new tool will keep you from being the deaf misanthrope who sends emails over the weekend. Instead, you just look like you've had the typical productive morning with too many red-eye coffee.
The new Scheduling tools do exactly what it says, so you can. This means that you do not need to save the message as a draft and try to remember to send it later. It is very similar to Boomerang, if you have used this browser extension, except that it is built directly into Gmail, making it one million times more comfortable. You can schedule emails up to 49 years in advance (a great way to say happy birthday every year).
Plan your emails to send later is useful when you:
- Want to strategically send an email to arrive at a good time if your recipient is in a different time zone
- Don't want to see your email lost in the mix (eg as if you send emails on a Friday night)
- Want to see thoughtful email for a friend's birthday the moment you remember it or productive (by blowing the e mail messages at 8 am on a Monday morning)
Scheduling Gmail messages now works from your personal and business accounts, both from your phone and on the desktop. Look for the arrow by sending the button in the browser or they stacked three points in the app.
How to start.
From Gmail in your browser
When done, you compose your email and you are ready to schedule it:
1. Locate the drop-down menu near the broadcast button.
2. Click on the arrow and then click Schema send .
3. A menu will be displayed that allows you to select the date and time you want the e-mail to be sent.
4. Select time and click Schedule send . A message box appears in the lower left corner that says "Send scheduled to …" where you can turn on if you made a mistake or see the message.
From the Gmail app on your phone or tablet
1. If you use the Gmail app to send an email, find the stacked three dots at the top right.
2. Point to the dots and select Schedule send .
3. From there, a menu will appear and you can add the date and time for your send.
4. Click Schema send . A message box appears in the lower left corner that says "Send scheduled to …" You can undo the action or show your message.
What if I need to update or delete email?
If you decide not to send the email after all, you can still delete it as long as you get to it before the scheduled time.
Just click Scheduled on the main menu, select the email you want to delete and select Cancel Send .
If you need to update the time or date the email is scheduled to send, cancel the email. A draft is displayed where you can edit the contents of the email and repeat the steps listed above.
Originally published April 11 at 4:00 pm PT.