Google Pay is a digital wallet tied to your Google Account. You can use it to send or request money with friends (kind of Venmo), use it in apps to pay for things and use it in a store or restaurant with an Android phone or watch running the Wear OS. But perhaps the real reason for using Google Pay is that it's faster and more secure than using a physical debit or credit card.
2018, Google Pay works without sending stores and restaurants to your actual card number. In essence, your credit and debit card information is stored securely on Google's servers, and instead of transferring your card number, Google Pay uses a token called a virtual account number as a stand-in.
will help you by configuring Google Pay and how to use it online and in stores and restaurants. I will also show you how to use it with your Gmail and add loyalty memberships, transit cards and gift cards. If you want to follow step by step, watch the video at the top of this story.
Set up Google Pay
The first thing you need to do is get the Google Pay app.
1. Download the app from the Google Play Store to install it.
2. Open the Google Pay app and press the Get Started button.
3. Then click the Connect to Gmail button. A window pops up asking for your permission to allow Google Pay to access your device's location.
4. Google Pay wants to know your location so that it can notify you when you are in a place that accepts Google Pay or uses your loyalty cards. To use the locator function, press the blue lettering Turn on the button at the bottom of the screen.
5. At the bottom of the Google Pay app there are four tabs: Home, Payment, Passport and Send. Go to the tab Payment and then tap the Add Payment Method .
You can also start on the Home tab . Go to Pay with your phone in stores and press the blue Set the button. If you already have a card on file with your Google Account (maybe for a Google Play store or another Google service), it will be offered to connect that credit or debit card to the Google Pay app on your phone . A little scary, but most useful.
6th You also have the option to add a new card to your account. To do so, press Add a new card and then hold the card in the camera window that pops up. After the camera has captured the card information, verify the card expiration date and CVC number.
8. Next, your bank will verify your card and you will receive a notification that your lock screen will be used for Google Pay. Once you understand it, press the blue button Got It at the bottom.
9. Then you will find yourself on Verify your card screen. Choose where you want to receive the verification number. Depending on your card, you can send it to either your email address or phone number. When you select, press the Continue button. When you get the number, enter it in the field on the Verification Number and touch the Send button.
Set up a default card for Google Pay
You can store multiple cards on Google Pay and even set one as a default card.
1. Touch the stored card you want to set by default.
2. When the card information screen pops up, press Standard for in-store payments . It takes about a minute to turn blue. How long exactly? Well, I had enough time to add a nickname for my card (Brewster & # 39; s Millions).
How to use Google Pay in stores, restaurants and ATMs
To use Google Pay in a store or restaurant, look for the wireless payment logo in a register. It is the one that looks like a hand holding a square piece of cheese over a plate of curved sausages with increasing lengths.
When you see the symbol, you unlock your phone near the register (keep it thumbs off) and Google Pay will open with your default card. Google Pay, like Apple Pay, usesto connect to a registry.
Paying for things with your phone may be new, but Google Pay can do so much more. With it you can use your phone to get money from an ATM. For example, if you have a Chase debit card tied to Google Pay, you can use it on a Chase ATM with a contactless reader to withdraw money. Of course, you still need to enter your debit card PIN to do so.
Send and receive money with Google Pay
But Google Pay is not just about using your phone instead of plastic cards. You can send and request cash with friends and family, just as you can withand Zelle.
1. To send cash, open the app Messages .
2. Start a new message and press the + button.
3. From there, tap the Google Pay popup.
4. Press Continue enter the amount you want to send and press the blue Attach Money button.
5. After a few seconds you will see a small square inside your message bubble with the amount of money you entered. When you're ready, touch the Send icon.
The same process works to request money.
You can also use Gmail to send and request money. It's incredibly simple.
1. Start a new email and tap the paperclip icon if you use the Gmail app on your phone or the $ icon if you use Gmail through a browser.
2. Then select Send Money or Request Money . Enter the amount, add a memo, and then press Attach Money or Attach Request .
3. Finally send your message.
Google Pay also allows you to send or request money from your browser.
1. Go to pay.google.com and log in.
2. Then select the tab Send or request money .
3. Print Send Money or Request Money .
4. Enter the amount of money you want to send or request, and then enter the recipient's phone number, email or enter their name to retrieve information from their contact card.
5. Finally, press Send or Request .
Use Google Pay on websites and apps
You can also use Google Pay at checkout on websites as well as apps like Caviar, Starbucks and Airbnb. When you see the Google Pay icon on a website or in an app, just click on it at checkout.
Add loyalty and gift cards to Google Pay
With your Google Pay Wallet you can add loyalty cards and gift cards to it. For example, I add my. But there are a bunch of merchants supported, from Starbucks and Walgreens to Ikea and airlines like United, Delta and American.
1. To add a loyalty or gift card, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passes tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then press the blue Pass key with a + sign.
3rd Then select Loyalty Program or Gift Certificate from the popup window. When the list of retailers and restaurants is displayed, select the company for your card or loyalty program.
4. If you have a gift card, you will be asked to enter the card details. For a loyalty program, a camera window pops up to scan your loyalty member number. Some companies allow you to enter the numbers manually by pressing the manually enter the button at the bottom of the screen. If you don't already have a membership, some companies like sandwich maker Jimmy John let you sign up for a new account.
Passages do not work as smoothly as a credit or debit card, but it can be convenient to have all your membership and gift cards in one place. And here you use a gift card or your loyalty membership card.
1. Go to the tab Passes and select the loyalty card you want to use.
2. Now you present the barcode to the cashier to scan. If your card does not have a barcode, read your membership number to the cashier.
To sort your loyalty cards, open the Passes tab . Then press and hold the card you want to rearrange. Move it up or down to arrange it as you like.
Use Google Pay in a transit system
Google Pay also allows you to add your transit card to your phone to get on trains, subways and buses. Currently, only four transit systems support it:
- Monorail in Las Vegas
- TriMet, C-TRAN and Portland Streetcar with The Hop in Portland, Oregon
- The MCAT transit system in Manatee County, Florida  Public transportation in Melbourne and parts of Victoria, Australia, with the MYKI transit pass
1. To add a transit card, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passes tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then click on the blue button Passport with a plus sign.
3. Select Transit from the popup window. A screen is displayed with the transit systems supported. Touch the one you want to use. Depending on the transport system, you can come to a transit website or app to buy your tickets or passports.
To use a passport or ticket, wake up your phone. For some transportation systems, you may need to unlock your phone and select your ticket. Then hold your phone by the card reader and wait until you see a blue tick.
Google Pay and your transaction data
When researching this story, I was curious about the information Google collects when using Google Pay. I found out that Google can use data from Google Pay transactions:
- To facilitate your Google Pay transactions
- To show you your transaction information and history
- To solve a problem you have with Google Pay
- To give you other Google Pay features
And as simple as anything that sounds, it's the last one – "other Google Pay features" – that leaves the door open for targeted ads. However, if you are already a Gmail user, you can let Google do the same.
More about paying with your phone
Originally published last month.