If you were an early adopter of Google Stadia who bought the founder edition in November 2019 and quickly activated your service, your free three-month trial of Stadia Pro will soon cease. And depending on when your Buddy Pass was activated, it may end soon.
If you do not want to start paying $ 10 a month to continue, you may want to cancel it instead. But here's a question that might run through you: "What will happen to my games?"
The answer, like all things related to Stadia's current business model, is a bit complicated. If you choose not to renew your Stadia Pro subscription when the trial expires:
- You will lose access to all games you claimed for free while you are a member
- You may continue to play any games you purchased directly  You will be limited to a 1080p stream with stereo audio, instead of 4K and 5.1 surround
It makes sense – the games you bought with real money will not be trapped behind the $ 10 / month paywall, and "free" games work in the same way that PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold do today.
Google also tells The Verge that past subscribers to Stadia Pro "will have access to the Stadia store to purchase additional games." After all, Google wants you to continue to use and pay for Stages in one way or another. However, discounts on new games are an exclusive benefit for Stadia Pro members.
So if you choose to cancel, you will actually be among the first to try Google's free level of Stadia cloud streaming. According to Google's Stadia support documentation, your alleged games and their saved data will be waiting for you in the cloud if you decide to subscribe again. But this does not mean that Stadia is open to anyone yet; according to Google, the Stadia Base will be launched "in the coming months", and this is when non-paying players can test it for the first time, given that you have the right hardware, an internet connection and live in the US or Europe.
This post will walk you through the steps to prevent your account from being charged through your Chrome browser or through the Stadia app.
How to cancel from Chrome
- Go to stadia.google.com and click your avatar in the top right corner of the Chrome browser screen.
- In the drop-down menu, click "Stage Settings."
- Then click "Purchases and Subscriptions."
- On the next screen, you We obviously see your purchases and subscriptions. To unsubscribe from Stadia Pro, press "Unsubscribe."
How to cancel from the Stadia app
- When you open the Stadia app, press the avatar near the upper right corner of the phone display.
- Click "Purchase" on the settings screen that appears.
- Then click "Unsubscribe" under the Stadia Pro box.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy .