iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple’s latest software updates for iPhone and iPad, are rolling out now and they provide many new features. On iOS 14, you can add widgets to your home screen, watch video in picture-in-picture mode, and use a new Apple-made language translation app. On iPad 14, you can type in text boxes and use a redesigned search experience. And both software updates offer enhancements to Maps, Messages, Safari, and Siri.
Here’s what you need to know to download and install the new updates. And if you want to know which devices support each update, just check out our lists at the bottom of this article.
How do I install iOS 14 and iPadOS 14
- Open the Settings app on your device and press “General”
- Then tap “Software Update”
- You should see a message describing the update. (If you do not see the message, try again in a moment.) Press the “Download and install” option and follow the instructions from there. The update may also have been downloaded to your device in the background – if so, you just need to press “Install” to get the process started.
- Note that when you install the update, you will not be able to use your device at all. The update may take some time to install – in my experience it may take 15 minutes or more – so for that reason I sometimes wait until the evening so that the update can be installed overnight.
Which devices can run iOS 14?
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro, Pro Max
- iPhone XS, XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone 6S, 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (second generation)
- iPhone SE (first generation)
- iPod touch (seventh generation)
Which devices can run iPadOS 14?
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (fourth generation)
- 11-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (third generation)
- 11-inch iPad Pro (first generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (second generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad (eighth generation)
- iPad (seventh generation)
- iPad (sixth generation)
- iPad (fifth generation)
- iPad mini (fifth generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air (fourth generation)
- iPad Air (third generation)
- iPad Air 2