Apple’s iOS 14 is here. With it, you’ll see over 200 new features and changes hitting your iPhone, including home screen widgets, built-in message replies, and bike paths in Maps. Best of all, you do not have to wait to test all these amazing new updates as you can install iOS 14 “Golden Master” (GM) version right now.
So, what is a GM? Golden Masters allows Apple to test a software they consider “ready-made” for the last time. Beta testers receive the software a few days before the public, giving Apple one last chance to confirm that there will be no major bugs or issues when the software goes live for everyone. Developers can also complete all the kinks in their own software so that users can update both iOS and their apps smoothly on day one.
Although GM is available earlier than the official release, you should not worry about downloading it to your iPhone. With almost all the latest versions of iOS, GM is exactly same as the official version, so the risk of iOS 14 GM carrying significant errors or problems is low.
Method 1: Sign up for the Beta program
If you are an iOS 13 beta tester, you will need to delete your public iOS 13 beta profile to continue. To delete it, go to Settings -> General -> Profile -> iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 Beta software profile -> Delete profile, then enter the password and confirm with “Delete”.
Below are the instructions for joining the public beta of iOS 14. If you were already running the public beta of iOS 14.0 and still have the profile installed, skip to number 16 below the list. Developers can see our iOS 14 beta guide for installation steps.
- Archive your backup using iTunes or Finder, if you have not already done so.
- On your iPhone, go to beta.apple.com.
- Press the “Register” or “Log in” option.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to log in, and then follow the instructions if you have 2FA enabled.
- “Trust” your browser if you have not logged in to your Apple account recently from it.
- Read and “Accept” the Apple Beta Software Agreement, if anyone shows up.
- Go to beta.apple.com/profile to register your iPhone in the beta application or click on the “Register your iOS device” link after logging in and approving the agreement.
- Click the “Download profile” link halfway on this page.
- Tap “Allow” in the pop-up window to display the configuration profile.
- It will tell after it has been downloaded. Press Close.
- Open Settings, then tap the “Profile Download” link at the top. If you do not see it, go to Settings -> General -> Profile -> iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 Beta software.
- Select “Install” at the top right of the profile’s information page.
- Enter your iPhone’s password to confirm.
- Read the consent form and then press “Install” at the top right, followed by “Install” in the action sheet to confirm.
- A prompt may appear asking you to restart to apply the changes. Press “Restart” if you see it. If you do not see it, press “Done” Profile installed page, and you are ready to go.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- If this is your first time installing the public beta profile for iOS 14, the update should already be downloaded. If you are trying to get a later iOS 14 update, select “Download and install” and enter your password to confirm.
- If Terms and Conditions screen appears, tap “Approve” and then complete the installation of iOS 14 beta as with any other iOS update.
Method 2: Install the IPSW file with your computer
If you do not want to sign up for Apple’s beta program, you can always install the GM seed via the IPSW file. You have to use a computer to get the job done. If you are using a Mac running MacOS Catalina or later, do so with Finder. For all previous versions of macOS, install the file using iTunes.
If you are using Windows you should try using 3uTools as you unfortunately cannot install iOS 14 GM with an IPSW file outside of macOS. Complete information, we have not tested the tool ourselves.
Step 1: Download the correct IPSW file
Not all IPSW files are the same. While all iOS 14 GM IPSW files are installed by GM, you need to use the one that is specific to your specific iPhone. We’ve added links for all iPhones that are compatible with iOS 14 below. These links are verified through Apple and are 100% legitimate and secure.
Unlike Method 1, which uses general GM, these links use developer GM. You need either macOS Catalina or Xcode 12 installed on your computer to use these links (you do not need to install the entire Xcode app if you install mobiledevice.pkg instead). Of course, if you happen to be a developer, you can just hook on the IPSW file from the developer’s website.
iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 GM Seed Links:
Once you have the IPSW file on your computer, it is easy to install iOS 14 GM. Just follow these simple steps:
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC
Connect your iPhone to your computer with a flash to USB cable or flash to USB-C cable.
Step 3: Unlock your iPhone (if needed)
If you are greeted with the “Unlock iPhone to use accessories” popup on your iPhone, unlock your iPhone with Face ID, Touch ID or your password.
Step 4: Trust your computer (if necessary)
If this is the first time your iPhone is connecting to your computer, you will probably need to “trust” your computer to continue. Just follow the instructions on your iPhone and computer. You can trust the computer at any time after, if you want.
Step 5: Open iTunes (or Finder on Catalina)
When your iPhone successfully connects to your computer, iTunes should open automatically. If it does not, open it manually. If you are running macOS Catalina, open the Finder and then skip to step 8.
Step 6: Update iTunes (if necessary)
To avoid potential problems, be sure to update iTunes to the latest software version. In macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below, you can check via the “Update” tab in the Mac App Store. With macOS 10.14 Mojave, iTunes can be updated via “Software Update” in System Preferences.
Step 7: Log in to iTunes
If you are not already logged in to iTunes, do so now.
Step 8: Select your iPhone
When your iPhone appears in iTunes, click its icon next to the Media drop-down menu. Make sure you are in the “Summary” view.
If you use Finder in Catalina or higher, select your iPhone below Places, make sure you are on the “General” tab. It should be opened by default.
Step 9: Back up to iOS 13 (optional)
If you want to protect your data, back up your iPhone with iOS 13. You can make a full backup with iTunes or Finder, or you can make a partial backup with iCloud. Since you are already using iTunes or Finder, it may make the most sense to back it up there. If you want to save. your health and activity data, select the encrypted local option and then click “Back up now”.
If you really want to ensure that data is protected, however …
Step 10: Archive your iOS 13 Backup (optional)
The next time you connect your iPhone to your computer after backing it up, it will overwrite the old backup with your iPhone’s current state. Normally it works fine, but running iOS 14 means that your computer will overwrite your old iOS 13 backup with it. Not good.
To make sure your iOS 13 backup is secure or to downgrade to iOS 13 again, you need to file your backup. It may sound a little difficult, but it can be quite simple.
To save with iTunes, open “Settings”, select “Devices”, right-click on your iOS 13 backup and select “File” (you should now see a lock appear next to the backup).
If you use Finder, select “Manage backups” via the “General” tab, right-click on the iOS 13 backup, and then select “File” (the name of the backup changes slightly to show that it has been saved).
Step 11: Start installing iOS 14 GM
Hold down alternative on your Mac and then select “Update” or “Check for Update” in iTunes or Finder.
Step 12: Select IPSW file
Select the IPSW recovery image in the file selection window, then click “Open” to begin installing the software.
Step 13: Wait for iTunes or Finder
Just wait for iTunes or Finder to finish the process. When done, you will see your iPhone restart.
Step 14: Set up iOS 14
Just follow the on-screen instructions on your iPhone to set up iOS 14. Open the App Store to see what updates you may have. Some apps should already have iOS 14-ready updates.
Keep your connection secure without a monthly bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions.
Buy now (80% off)>