Google Maps is great for helping you find your way – or even helping you find your car – but the app can also help others find you .
Maps have an easily overlooked feature for sharing your real-time stay with someone so they can see exactly where you are, even if you move and then navigate to your location. You can use the same function to let a trusted person keep tabs on your travel trip to a particular location and know exactly when to arrive.
The best part? It is incredibly easy to do. The trick is to know where to look.
Share your real-time site
When you want someone to track your location:
- Open the Maps app on your iOS or Android device
- Touch the blue point, which represents your current location, then select "Share location" from the menu that appears. (If this is the first time you use Maps for such a purpose, your phone may prompt you to allow the app to access your contacts before continuing.)
- If you want to share your location for a certain period, select "1 hour" and then use the blue plus and minus buttons to increase or decrease the time as needed
- If you want to split your location indefinitely until you turn it off manually, select "until you turn off this" option
- On Android selects the person with whom you want to share your location from the list of suggested contacts or select an app (such as Gmail or messages) to send a private link. You can also choose to copy the link to your clipboard and paste it where you want.
- On an iPhone, tap "Select people" to select a person from your contacts, select "Message" to send a private link to someone in your messaging program, or select "More" to send a private link via another communication service. Your phone may prompt you to give Maps current access to your location before moving it forward.
- If you share your location in the Map itself – by selecting a contact as opposed to sending a link via an external app – the person with whom you share If you share your location, you will receive a message on the phone. In addition, when you select "Location Sharing" in the Map Menu's page menu, you will see an icon at the top for both you and the person you are sharing with. Choose the person's icon and a bar at the bottom of the screen lets you stop sharing, share your site again or request that person share their place with you.
To manually stop Maps from sharing your location:
- Open the Maps app and look for the "Share your location" field at the bottom of the screen
- Press "x" next to the line that says how and how long your location is shared
Share your journey progress
When you want someone to see your location and estimated time of arrival while on the way to a particular destination:
- Open the Maps app, and start navigating to your destination
- Drag up the field at the bottom of the screen (where your remaining driving time is displayed) and then select "Share suitcase" from the menu that appears
- Select the name of the person with which you want to share your progress or choose an app you want to use to share
If you want to stop sharing your progress before your journey is complete:
- Pull up the field at the bottom of the screen
- Select "Stop sharing "from the menu that appears
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, but Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our Ethics Policy .