You can now watch Disney + programs like Mandalorianen with your friends virtually through the streaming service’s new GroupWatch feature.
With the feature, up to seven people can watch the same show or movie on Disney + at the same time by synchronizing screens. You can also share emoji reactions with your friends while watching.
You can connect with all your friends who subscribe to Disney + every month. While you can not see or send messages to your friends with GroupWatch, Disney reportedly wants to add a chat feature in the future.
How to use GroupWatch on Disney +
- Open the app or website and choose which show or movie you want to watch.
- Click the three-person icon to the right of the Play icon.
- Send the invitation link that appears to your friends via text, email or any other messaging option.
- When everyone has the link and has been added, one of the participants can click on Start Stream.
- When watching, anyone can pause, fast forward, or rewind the power.
Digital Trends contacted Disney to find out if and when more features, such as a chat option, would be available for GroupWatch. We will update this story when we hear back.
Disney is the latest streaming service that has a shared streaming feature available: Netflix has the third-party Netflix party and Amazon has the Amazon Prime Video Watch Party. These options have gained even more popularity during the pandemic because people are limited to physically hanging out with their friends or family, but can still enjoy a movie night together virtually.