Instagram now has a new way for you to showcase your creativity. On Wednesday, the social media platform launched its TikTok competitor Reels, which lets you film, edit and post 15-second videos in the Instagram app. Reels, now available in the United States, looks like it will give social media influencers and other creators a new way to create and share short-form content.
Instagram Reels will have some catching up. TikTok has been downloaded more than 2 billion times and is very popular among Gen Z. Instagram meanwhile has over 1 billion monthly users, who are a little older. But Instagram’s familiar platform can make it a way for people who otherwise would not download TikTok to experiment with 15-second video formats. And since the White House is considering a ban on TikTok due to the app’s ties to China, Instagram Reels may pick up some users who are also worried about this.
Instagram Reels will feel familiar if you’ve used Instagram before, or if you’ve ever made a Vine back in the day or a TikTok more recently.
How to Make an Instagram Reel |
1. Download the latest version of the Instagram app on iOS or Android and open the app.
2. Swipe right to open the Instagram camera, or tap the camera icon in the upper left corner.
3. At the bottom of the screen, tap rollers.
4. Click the record button to film your roll (the clip must last between 3 and 15 seconds).
5. To the left of the screen, you can explore Reels packages of editing tools, including audio, text, or other effects. Augmented reality effects are also an option.
6. Post your roll on your Instagram page or story, or save the roll in your drafts and continue working on it later.
If a roll is saved in your drafts, you can find it on the Wheels tab of your profile. You can also publish your scroll on the explore page so all Instagram users can see it. Other Instagram users can like, comment or save your Reel.
Add videos you’ve already filmed on Instagram Reels
If you have a video on your phone that you want to turn into a roll, do it like this:
1. Open the Instagram app.
2. Swipe right to open the Instagram camera.
3. Select rollers at the bottom of the screen.
4. Pull up to pull down the camera roll.
5. Select the video you want and use the trim option if needed.
6. Edit your video by adding audio, text or other effects.
7. Publish the video to your Instagram feed or story, or save it as a draft.
The Reels feature was first tested in India afterwhere. It was also tested in Brazil, France and Germany.
For more video help, check out our guide at, and that .
10 apps for editing photos before posting on Instagram
See all photos