Is your version of Office still receiving security updates? It depends on which version you are using. Microsoft has a published support lifecycle, but it can be difficult to dig up the information. Here̵7;s what you need to know.
Software updates are just as important for Office as they are for any other application. An outdated version of Microsoft Outlook is vulnerable to malicious e-mail messages, but an outdated version of Microsoft Word is also vulnerable to malicious DOC and DOCX documents that you can download and open. Even a malicious image that you copy and paste into an Office document can potentially compromise your system if you do not have the latest updates.
Mainstream vs Extended Support
Let us first go through the difference between “Mainstream Support” and “Extended Support.” Like Windows Editions, each Office version receives “Mainstream Support” for several years when it was first released. Microsoft will continue to update that version of Office with new features.
Several years after that, it is entered into an “Extended Support” period. Microsoft will stop adding new features, but will continue to issue security updates during the extended support period.
Organizations can also purchase enhanced security updates after the period, just as they can with Windows 7.
As long as your version of Microsoft Office still receives at least enhanced support, it will still receive security updates.
RELATED: What it means when Microsoft stops supporting your version of Windows
How long will Microsoft support your version of Office?
These versions of Office are still receiving security updates:
- Office 365, available through a Microsoft 365 subscription, is always kept up to date with the latest software.
- Office 2019 for both Windows and Mac get security updates up to October 14, 2025. The usual end date for regular support is October 10, 2023, while the extended end date for support is October 14, 2025. (Source)
- Office 2016 for both Windows and Mac get security updates up to October 14, 2025. The end date of the ordinary aid is 13 October 2020, while the end date of the extended aid is 14 October 2025. (Source)
- Office 2013 for Windows will receive security updates until 11 April 2023– As long as you have installed Service Pack 1. The regular support period ended on April 10, 2018, while the extended support end date is April 11, 2023. (Source)
- Office 2010 for Windows will receive security updates until October 13, 2020. The regular support period ended on October 13, 2015, while the extended end date for support is October 13, 2020. (Source)
Office applications typically receive automatic updates. To ensure that automatic updates are enabled in Office.
The following versions of Office are no longer supported:
- Office 2011 for Mac no longer receives security updates. Microsoft stopped supporting on October 10, 2017. (Source)
- Office 2007, Office 2003, Office XP, Office 2000, Office 97, Office 95, and older versions of Microsoft Office no longer receive security updates. Office 2007, for example, reached the end of the extended support period on October 10, 2017. (Source)
Want to know if a Microsoft product is still receiving security updates? Go to the Microsoft Product Lifecycle page and search for the name of the product you want information about.
What to do if your version of Office does not receive security updates
If you are still using an older version of Office that does not receive security updates, you should immediately upgrade to something modern and supported.
For example, you can get a Microsoft 365 subscription or purchase a boxed copy of Office 2019. There are several ways to get (or try) Microsoft Office for free.
You don’t have to spend money – you can try a free open source office suite like LibreOffice, use a web-based office suite like Microsoft’s free Office Online or Google Docs, or install Apple’s free iWork software for Mac.
No matter what you do, however, we recommend that you use office software that is modern and up-to-date with security updates.
RELATED: How do I get Microsoft Office for free