Looking for a quick and easy way to share a class project, worksheet or collection of your favorite animated GIFs? If you are an Apple user, iCloud Drive folder sharing is built into, and , and really easy to use. Storing files and folders in your iCloud Drive account has been possible for several years, but a software update added the ability to share folders stored in your iCloud Drive account as well.
So long, Dropbox.
As a long-term Dropbox user,in March 2019, I had to apply for a replacement service. And Apple delivered.
When most of my family and friends use Apple products, the fact that iCloud Drive is already built-in should make the transition easier for everyone involved. Especially me.
Turning on and customizing settings for a shared folder is not so obvious, but once you know where to look, the process is simple.
Before using iCloud Drive, read this
Here are some things to keep in mind before you start sharing folders with colleagues or family members:
- Anyone viewing, adding or editing files in a shared folder needs an Apple ID.
- You, like everyone you share with, will need it or or newer installed.
- A shared folder only counts on the owner’s iCloud Drive storage, not the ones they shared it with.
- All pages, numbers, or Keynote documents shared in an iCloud folder are converted to a collaborative document. The collaboration feature is similar to Google Docs in that anyone with access can make changes and track edits.
- If you start using iCloud folder sharing, you will probably need or need to increase your storage plan. Add more from the iCloud section of the settings app on your iPhone or system settings on a Mac. The plans range from 5 GB total storage for free up to $ 9.99 per month for 2 TB. You can upgrade or downgrade your plan at any time.
Share a folder on iPhone and iPad
1st Open files app and select iCloud Drive from the Browse tab.
2nd Tap Select in the upper right corner of the screen, then tap the folder you want to share.
3rd Select Share button followed by Add people.
4th Choose how you want to send the shared folder invitation. If you choose to copy the link, you have a phone number or email address for the person you want to share with. You must specify it so that Apple knows who to give access to the folder to.
5th Knock on stock options to adjust permissions. You can set permissions so that anyone with a link can access the view and edit permissions folder or lock it to specific contacts.
Share a folder on a Mac
1st Open fINDER and select iCloud Drive.
2nd Select the folder you want to share and click Share button at the top of the Finder window.
3rd Click Add people.
4th click stock options to set your sharing permissions.
5th Choose how you want to send the link and then click Share.
When a contact accepts the shared folder invitation, it will appear in their iCloud Drive account. They will have access to its contents and, depending on the permissions you specify, they will be able to add, edit or delete files in the folder. Each file will have a contact name next to it, so you know who added it to the folder.
In my tests so far, I have not yet received a push alert or notification of any kind when someone has modified a file or added items to a folder. Hopefully this is something Apple will add in a future update.
To view a list of shared folder members, select the folder in File or Finder, click the share button, but this time select Show people. You can delete everyone who has access by choosing their name Remove access on an iPhone or iPad, or by clicking the three-point menu button next to their name Remove access on a Mac.
Once you have started sharing some folders, make sure you know how to maximize yours. If you have just started using a Mac, . we are , before it was released later this year, and although we did not find any new sharing features, we did .