Much happened over the weekend, but the biggest news to start your March 18, 2019 came the morning from Apple with a couple of new iPads. Otherwise, Microsoft Defender released Chrome and Firefox extensions and more.
Apple doesn't know much about messages and all that ̵
- New iPads! Apple announced a new iPad Mini with modern specs and pen (1st gen) support, as well as an updated iPad Air with a 10.5-inch screen. [Review Geek]
Microsoft and Windows News
Microsoft was quite quiet over the weekend, but it subtly "announced" a new extension to keep Chrome and Firefox corporate users safer. Well, kind of.
- Microsoft released a Windows Defender Application Guard extension for Chrome and Firefox (for business use). This allows workplaces to set up a whitelist of websites and also allow employees to use their preferred browser. The extension only opens edge in WDAG mode when users navigate to a site that the company has not configured as trusted. [Windows Blog]
Google and Android News
As always, a lot has happened to Google since Friday. With the latest version of Android Q beta for Pixel devices, new features are quite constant right now.
- You will soon allow access to motion and light sensors for specific sites in Chrome. It is being tested in the Canary Islands right now, but we should see it in Stable Buildings later this year. [Techdows]
- Chrome OS 73 is enhanced transitions to and from slate tablet mode and other 2-in-1 Chromebooks. [About Chromebooks]
- There is a hidden setting in Pixel Launcher on Android Q that suggests better navigation. Please, google Please. [XDA Developers]
- Considering hidden settings in Q, there is another option to reshape Squeeze for Assistant functions on Pixel 2 and 3. [Android Police]
- New requirements in Google Play require all icons to be rounded rectangles forward. Some people call them squircles, but I think there is a slight difference between the two. Anyway, rounded-corner-square things will soon come to an icon near you. [XDA Developers]
- Samsung announced an event to announce a new phone. Or phones. New Galaxy A phone is incoming. [Samsung Mobile Press]
- Like Facebook Chatheads? Android Q can get them everywhere. [9to5Google]
- AV-Comparatives compared 250 different antivirus programs from Android. Shows most of the craving and does not do what to do. Who knew? [AV-Comparatives]
- ZTE can make a full-screen phone with a display camera. It looks good. [Engadget]
- Google can act as an Android fork for feature phones. Captivating. [9to5Google]
- Xioami subsidiary Black Shark announced a new game phone with a Snapdragon 855 and 12 GB RAM. It also looks nice. [Liliputing]
You know, the other stuff.
- Plantronics is rebranding as Poly to get some buzz back to its product line. A lot of new things are also at work. ! [Engadget]