The coveted Holy Grail for those using a laptop and phone is a seamless handover between the two for anyone who doesn't want to stop what they're doing on a screen to do something different on the smaller shows. Now Microsoft is helping to bridge the gap by letting you make and answer phone calls directly from your computer. You can also send calls directly to the voicemail.
The new feature, simply called Calls, is part of a Windows 10 Insider Preview. You must have it before you can start. You also need to make sure your Android phone is in version 7 of the operating system or newer (for reference, Android 10 is out now, so most current phones should work.)
Microsoft is the latest brand to make it easier to use your phone from your computer. Apple has continuity, which lets you send documents, photos, and phone calls between your Apple devices. Samsung lets you mirror content between its mobile devices and MacOS and Windows. Google also allows you to use its Messaging app in a browser on Mac and PC.
If you are part of the Windows Insider program, then here you go.
How to install your phone app and link your phone and computer
To connect Windows 10 to your Android phone, start with Windows 10 & # 39; s Your Phone app.
1. In the preview of Windows 10, open the Your Phone app, tap Android on the right, and then press Continue.
2. Enter your mobile number, and then press Send to have Microsoft send a link that you use to connect your Android phone to your PC.
3rd To access your Android device, open the text message and tap the message link, which will take you to the Google Play app page.
4. Once installed, tap Install and then tap Open (or find your Phone Companion app on your Android desktop and press to open).
5. Enter your Microsoft account information in the app and press Sign in.
6. In the next window, click Continue and then click Allow to allow the app to access your contacts, manage phone calls, access files on your phone and send and view SMS messages.
7. Then click Continue and then Allow if you want the app to run in the background.
8. Finally, tap Allow to allow your Android device to connect to your computer, then press Continue and finally tap Done.
9. Over in Windows 10, in phone call settings, you may also need to give your phone app permission to make calls.
How to browse your Android photos and messages on your Windows 10 PC
With your app, you can manage your photos and view and send messages from your phone.
1. In Windows 10, open your phone app.
2 . In the left pane, touch Photos, Messages, or Notifications to manage these items from your phone. If you don't see anything, click Update to drag in photos and messages.
How to make and receive Android phone calls on Windows
With everything set up, you can now start managing your Android phone data on your PC with your phone.
1. From your phone, in the left pane, press Call.
2. To make calls, search for contacts or use the caller.
3. When a call comes in, a dialog box will let you accept or reject a call or send a message instead of replying.
Microsoft said it is gradually rolling out the new call portion of your phone, so it may take one while to be available. For another while on Microsoft's embrace of Android phones, check out the upcoming.
CNET may receive a commission from retail offerings.