For many of us, Google storage is today's hard drive. It is the place where our most important thoughts, documents and memories are. But just as with a traditional hard drive, the space is not infinite, and it can be a real problem to run in the room.
By default, Google gives you 15 GB of space to use for everything related to your account. (If you have a paid G Suite account, your limit is likely to be higher.) It includes content linked to Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos (if you save your photos in full resolution). It is not possible to say that data is uploaded quickly.
You can check your current storage status by visiting this page, and if you will print, you can buy more space there, for as little as $ 2 per month for an extra 100 GB. But it may not be necessary to shelling out more money. A quick round of old-fashioned housekeeping can be enough to clear away your virtual web and give you plenty of room to grow. Here's how.
Removing Disk Breakage
Google Drive is a common place for space aspiration files to build up and pull down the quota, but clean it up doesn't take long.
- Open this link, which will show you a list of all your Drive files sorted by size with the largest items at the top.
- Look through the most powerful criminals and remove everything you no longer need.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the device and select "Settings" followed by "Manage Apps".
- For all apps that have a hidden data note, click the gray "Options" box on the right and select "Delete" hidden app data. "
Apps associated with your Google Drive storage can sometimes have hidden data, but all it takes is a few clicks to delete it.
- Open the Drive Trash folder, click on the word "Trash" at the top of the page and select the "Empty trash" option.
Release photos upload
If you do not have a Pixel phone, all photos and videos backed up to Google Photos will be counted in full resolution against your Google storage. You can free up lots of space by converting these files to Google's free and unlimited "high quality" options that compress images down to 16MP and video to 1080p (a change that won't be noticed for most and purposes) .  Go to the Photos Settings page and select "High Quality (Free Unlimited Storage)."
Say goodbye to Gmail junk
Email does not take much space, but you know what is doing? Attachments. The odds are, you have lots of old attachments that are in your Gmail account that you don't need.
How to handle it:
- Go to the Gmail site and type "have: attached larger: 10M" In the search box at the top.
- Identify any messages with one-time connections and delete them. (There is no good way to get rid of an attachment without even deleting the associated email, but you can always forward a message to yourself and manually delete the attachment before you shoulder the originals.)
- Open your Spam folder and Click the link to "Delete all spam messages now."
- Open your trash can and select "Empty Trash Now" to send it all away for good.
Feeling brighter is liberating, right?
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, but Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy