The Senate and the House of Representatives are now officially in depth until after Labor Day and leave the talks onat break. That means all the details around a is still in flow, including the total amount , and who would be entitled to a new payment if an incentive bill passes.
“Americans need more help,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday. Thelast weekend leaves the door open in addition to a second payment.
If a final bill is approved, a larger number of families can receive more stimulus money as a whole. But would you and your family qualify? Here’s everything we know right now about what can happen if legislators make an agreement. This story is often updated with new information.
Qualifications under the Republican Plan HEALS Act
While negotiations on a new bill are currently being halted, Republicans are using theirsfor negotiations. If the part of the HEALS law that deals with a second financial payment becomes law, it would largely replicate the entitlement to payment specified in the previous CARES law, with a new contribution for dependence.
Here is an overview of what we could see:
- An individual living in the United States with one , less than $ 99,000
- A head of a household earning under $ 146,500
- A couple files together without children and earns less than $ 198,000
- One depending on any age
Under the CARES Act, the break to get a $ 500 addiction check was age 16 and younger; students under the age of 24 were not eligible for a check. The Republican proposal would exclude people in prison and people who recently died from qualifying for a check. The bill would also prohibit creditors and banks from using the payment to pay off debts.
The Democrats’ vision for who gets a stimulus check
The Democratic negotiators partly use the Hero Act, which was adopted by the House of Representatives on 15 May, as their basis for debate. Even if the Senate Republicans and the President oppose the plan, we can look at this bill to see the democratic position on the upper limits of who can qualify in a broad proposal:
- Individuals who earned less than $ 99,000 according to from their 2018 or 2019 taxes (depending on what was last filed)
- Students, family members over 17, disabled relatives and taxpayers’ parents
- Families of up to five people, for a hat of 6,000 dollars per family
- SSDI receiver
- Individuals who are not U.S. citizens but file tax returns, pay taxes, and otherwise comply with federal tax laws using an individual taxpayer’s identity number instead of a social security number
Who did not receive a stimulus control according to the CARES Act
For payments approved under the CARES Act, which became law in March, these groups are excluded from receiving the first check:
- Individual taxpayers with an adjusted gross income over $ 99,000
- Managers for households with an AGI over $ 136,500
- Married couple with an AGI over $ 198,000
- Children over 16 and students under 24
- Non-resident aliens as defined by the US Government
When will Congress decide who is eligible?
Right now, the timeline for discussions remains in the air. Talks between Republican and Democratic negotiators about the new stimulus package have stalled, but the two sides have signaled their willingness to take up the debate. With the Senate on hiatus until after Labor Day, the chances of an agreement in August look likely, but an agreement in September is now in the picture. Once the parties have reached an agreement, the incentive proposal will not enter into force until the president signs it into law.
And even if we do not know for sure until the two sides come together on the next stimulus package, we have a good idea, if a new bill passes.
For more, here’s what we know about. We also have information about , , and .
Shelby Brown contributed to this report.