Online games are a great help to keep you entertained during a quarantine, but they can do more than just distract you. As we age, playing certain games can help us cognitively … and according to research, it can even improve our mood and sense of well-being.
To keep things simple, we looked for games that you can play online for free without having to download software. We found several good ones on websites that don't (always) bombard you with ads – but before you start clicking links, read on.
Staying safe playing online games
Most websites will ask you to create an account using your email before letting you play a game for free. Don't use your existing email address. Instead, create a new one that you only will use for online games ̵1; something without identifying features, and especially not your name. In other words, keep your game emails and your personal emails separate.
- Never click on an ad or download anything from a playground to your computer; If the game creates a popup that says you have to download Flash to play, for example, it could be malicious software. Do not download any kind of "Flash" update from any of these sites, download it directly from Adobe.
- Do not disclose any personal information about yourself to another player, including your surname, age or location.
- If a gaming site asks you to create an account, create a username that keeps your identity anonymous, and create a secure password of 12 (or more) characters that you use only for games. Never uses the same password that you use to log in to your email or online bank account.
- Be aware that some free games allow you to play for free until you reach a certain level and then require a payment for you to continue the game.
- Pogo.com offers a variety of online games, including chess, scrabble, card games, word games and puzzles. If you want to keep track of your points on the website, you must register. If you have an account, you can also use the site's social features – you can play against other members, join forums and "chat" with friends while you play. You can play for free but be prepared to watch ads; You have to pay to get an ad-free experience. Still, it's a good place for many different free games – Scrabble is addictive. Click here to visit Pogo
- Tetris is another site with a variety of arcade games, word games and puzzle games. To play, you must log in with your Facebook account to save games and share with your friends. Click here to visit Tetris.
- Mahjong offers free Mahjongg and Mahjong games such as Mahjong Fortuna, Mahjong Solitaire, Connect, Mahjongg 3D, Mahjongg Dimensions and Towers. The games can be played on desktop, tablet and mobile (Android, iOS, Windows Mobile). Click here to visit Mahjonggames.