You finally got your hands on a new Fire tablet. But things feel a little bare out of the box. If you want to get the most out of your tablet, it̵7;s time to start accessories!
Amazon releases new Fire tablets every year or two. So to keep things simple, we’ll just look at accessories for the latest Brand 7 (9th gen), Fire HD 8 (10th gen), Fire HD Plus (10th gene) and Fire HD 10 (9th gene) tablets. If the same accessory is available for an older generation, then I make sure to note it as well.
These accessories also work with the “kids” version of each tablet. You can check which fire tablet you own via the Device Options menu.
Cases for adults and children
A tablet without a case is like a car without an airbag. Spend a few dollars on a case now to save yourself from replacing your Fire tablet tomorrow. Modern tablet cases come in all shapes and sizes, and some of the thin kickstand options are more comfortable than a case without a Fire tablet.
Case for Fire 7 (9 Gen 2019)
- Official Fire 7 Soft Case [$25]: Amazon’s official fabric case with built-in kickstand. It’s expensive, but it looks great and comes in lots of different colors.
- Dadanism Slim Folio Case [$12]: An affordable book-style case that covers the front and back of your Fire tablet. Closing the case locks the screen of your Fire tablet, saving battery life and time. The front cover can be folded into a temporary kickstand.
- MoKo Premium Leather Case [$16]: A high quality leather case that covers the front and back of the Fire tablet. Closing the MoKo lining locks your tablet screen automatically. The front cover also folds into a temporary kickstand.
- Official Kid-Proof Case [$25]: Amazon’s official child case. It is made of robust plastic and has a built-in kickstand.
Case for Fire HD 8 and HD 8 Plus (10 Gen 2020)
- Official Kickstand Cover [$30]: Amazon’s soft fabric case for Fire HD 8 and HD 8 Plus. It has a built-in kickstand. Amazon is also selling a seventh / eighth version of this case for older HD 8 tablets.
- MoKo Smart Shell Cover [$14]: A soft narrow book style that covers the front and back of your tablet. When closed, it puts the tablet to sleep. The front cover can act as a kickstand. Amazon is selling an alternative to this MoKo case 2017/2018.
- MoKo Rugged Kickstand Case [$27]: A super tough shockproof case with built-in kickstand and plastic screen protection. It is perfect for anyone who wants to keep their Fire tablet safe through rain or shine.
- Official Kid-Proof Case [$30]: An Amazon-branded case with thick light plastic bumpers and a built-in kickstand. Amazon is selling a version of its Kid-Proof case for 7th / 8th gen HD 8 tablets.
Case for Fire HD 10 (9 Gen 2019)
- Official Kickstand Cover [$40]: Amazon fabric case with built-in kickstand. It comes in a lot of colors that match your Fire tablet.
- JETech Smart Cover [$15]: An affordable softcover case that acts as a kickstand and puts your tablet to sleep when closed.
- MoKo Leather Case [$19]: A leather foil case that makes your tablet sleep when closed. The front cover acts as a kickstand.
- Finite Keyboard Case [$54]: One of the only fire cases with a built-in Bluetooth keyboard. It is a remarkable option for anyone who uses the Fire tablet for rudimentary writing, email or notes.
- TSQ Rugged Case [$33]: A sturdy sturdy case with built-in handle, kickstand and shoulder strap. It is a great option for people who use their Fire tablet at work, or for older children who like to carry their Fire tablet on the go.
- Official Kid-Proof Case [$35]: A robust childproof case with a built-in kickstand.
It is worth mentioning that if you have not bought a Fire tablet yet, you should consider buying Kids Edition. It costs a little extra, but it comes with a 2-year warranty without questions and a baby case. It’s a great deal, even for an adult.
Anyway, let’s get on with the show. Prepare for screen protection, the second most important Fire tablet accessory.
Screen protector for … Protection
There is nothing worse than a cracked screen. Fire tablets are quite durable, but a cheap screen protector can provide an extra layer of defense (and save your child from touching broken glass).
But which screen protector should you buy? Tempered glass or plastic? I suggest using a tempered glass screen protector as they have less glare than plastic caps. They also last longer, and they do not jump around when you try to apply them to the screen.
Still, plastic screen protectors cost less and are not as bulky as their hardened counterparts. And since plastic screen protectors cannot be broken like glass, they pose less of a risk to children.
Screen Protector for Fire 7 (9 Gen 2019)
Screen Protector for Fire HD 8 and HD 8 Plus (10 Gen 2020)
Screen Protector for Fire HD 10 (9 Gen 2019)
Now that we’ve past screen protectors and cases, let’s take a look at some accessories to enhance your Amazon Fire tablet experience.
More storage for books, music and offline movies
For most people, the Fire tablet is an always online device that streams movies, music and videos. You may be able to store some games and books on your Fire tablet, but it is unlikely that you will hit your 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB storage capacity.
But what if you start using the Fire tablet as an “offline” device? Most streaming services, such as Netflix, Spotify and Audible, allow you to download an unlimited number of content for offline use. You are not stuck with your Fire tablet at home; you can use it during your break at work or while sitting in the internet-free space in your garden.
The average HD movie boasts 500 MB to 1 GB of storage. So before you become a fanatical Fire tablet, you need to upgrade its storage with a microSD card. Here are some common storage sizes at the best prices I could find:
Realistically, you will download most of your media directly through Amazon apps or through a streaming service’s offline ‘feature. If you have a huge movie or music collection that you want to move from your computer to your Fire tablet, I suggest you buy a high capacity card (128 GB +) and a microSD to USB dongle.
Reach maximum charging speed
The new Fire HD 8 and HD 10 tablets are charged via USB-C and can achieve a maximum charging speed of 15 watts. With these speeds of 15 watts, your Fire tablet should reach a full charge in under 3 hours. But you do not charge your tablet at full speed. Amazon is packing its new HD 8 and HD 10 devices with slow 5 and 9 watt power adapters.
To achieve maximum charging speed, you must replace your charging accessories with a new power adapter and a USB-C to USB-C cable. I suggest you buy an 18-watt Aukey adapter and a 6-foot USB-C to USB-C cable. This combination costs about $ 20, and is almost two or three times faster than the charging accessories that came with your Fire tablet (and your phone).
If you want the best of both worlds, you can always buy a double-charging brick with a USB-C and USB-A port. But you still need to use a USB-C to USB-C cable to reach the maximum charging speeds.
Turn your fire tablet into a smart screen
One of the coolest things about new Fire tablets is the Echo Show mode, which turns your tablet into an Alexa smart display. You can use your Fire tablet as the perfect hands-free kitchen buddy when you are in Show Mode or use it to make a quick video call. You can even set it up as a hands-free music player if you want to rock out while working, cleaning or hanging out in the living room.
You can manually put your Fire tablet in Echo Show mode from the top bar. Just drag down and press the Show Mode button. (You’ll see it, it’s as simple as possible.) But manually jumping into Show Mode is a pain. For the ultimate smart experience, you want to pair your Fire tablet with an automatic Show Mode dock.
Shopping for Amazon’s Show Mode dolls will send you into confusion, so let’s go through this slowly. First there is the Fire HD 8 Plus dock, which is really just a wireless charging station that automatically puts your tablet in Show Mode. It only works with the 2020 Fire HD 8 Plus, and it’s the same docking that Amazon includes in its HD 8 Plus + Wireless Charging Dock bundle.
Then there is the Show Mode Charging Dock for the 7th and 8th generation Fire HD 8 and Fire HD 10 tablets. It’s a case and a charging station that automatically puts the last HD 8 and HD 10 devices in Show Mode. I do not know why, but Amazon does not sell a version of this case for current HD 8 or HD 10 tablets – for them you will get stuck and do it manually. Amazon never made a Show Dock for Fire 7 tablets.