On Friday, the folding phonewent on sale just days after it was formally announced at the . It comes out a week after – another folding screen phone – hit stores. have a lot in common, but they are also . Together, they represent some of the biggest design changes to hit over several years.
If you are lucky enough to get hold of a shiny new Galaxy Z Flip, there are many great features to explore, such as the small 1.1-inch pill shaped external screen and Flex mode. But there are somesettings that you can change to optimize the Z Flip even more, especially for better one-hand use.
Take a second tothen take a moment to try these features.
Transform the Z Flip fingerprint sensor into a scroll wheel
The Galaxy Z Flip asks to be used with one hand. And even though Samsung's OneUI 2 interface makes buttons and windows easier to interact with, it can still hurt to reach the top of the notification screen. Fortunately, there is an Android setting that turns the fingerprint reader on the side of the phone into a capacitive scroll wheel to pull down the message box.
To enable the feature:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Press Advanced Features.
3. Select Movements and gestures.
4. Turn the slider Finger sensor .
When your phone is open, pull your finger from the top of the fingerprint sensor to the bottom to pull down the notification cassette. Do the same motion a second time to reveal the control panel. Pull up on the sensor to close the panel and box.
Take a selfie with the power switch
When Z Flip is closed, you can double-click the power switch to open the outer camera for a selfie. The small 1.1-inch pill-shaped screen shows a cropped live preview.
To take a photo, either press the volume button or raise the palm of the camera to trigger a camera timer and countdown.  Master the itty-bitty external screen
Aside from letting you frame selfies when the phone is closed, the small external screen has a few other uses. Press the power button to display the date, time and battery status. Drag your finger across the screen to the right to reveal notifications. Touch any of the icons to see a short section of the message. If your phone is charging, the display shows the battery percentage and gives you an estimate of how long it takes your phone to be fully charged.
Flex Mode turns Z Flip into a laptop for children
The hinge on the Galaxy Z Flip is stiff enough to stay open in any position. Samsung has optimized some apps to take advantage of the screen when you have the phone open about halfway. For example, when you open the YouTube app in Flex mode, your video will play on the top half of the screen, while comments will appear at the bottom.
Here are other ways to use Flex mode:
- Make Google Duo video calls.
- In the Gallery app, you browse through photos on the bottom half of the screen, like a touchpad.
- Take a selfie hands-free.
- Use as a tripod for taking photos, videos and hyperlaps.
Z Flip Display Folders
The high, 6.7-inch screen with its 21: 9 format is perfect for displaying split-screen Android apps, one app on top of another.
1. Drag up the home screen to go to the latest app view, or press the latest app button from the navigation bar.
2. Select the app you want to appear on top and hold down the app icon.
3. After a moment, a menu appears.
4. Tap Open in split screen view.
5. Then select the second app you want to appear at the bottom.
6. Once in split screen mode, you can tap and hold in the sharing bar to change the size of the space each app occupies.
Enable gestures for better one-use use
I found trading with the traditional gesture Android navigation field made Z Flip easier to use with one hand.
To enable gestures:
1. Go to Settings .
2. Touch Display .
3. Select Navigation Bar .
4. Then select Full screen gestures .
To use gestures, pull up from the bottom of the screen to go home. Swipe up and hold to view new apps. And drag left or right on the screen to go back.
Claim your free YouTube Premium access
If you didn't already know, by buying a Galaxy Z Flip, you will receive YouTube Premium for four months – it's YouTube without ads, plus– free. To take advantage of the offer:
1. Open the YouTube app.
2. Click on your profile in the upper right corner.
3. Select YouTube Premium .
4. Press the blue Try It Free button.
5. Enter your credit card information to begin your free trial.
For more on Samsung's new collapsible, here is ourand .
Originally published last week.