Digital trends can earn a commission when you buy via links on our website.
Are you ready to build the home gym you have dreamed of. We searched the web to find high quality cheap gym equipment for the home and found an excellent selection including hot and cold wraps to speed up recovery after training. This product category is extremely active, so come back regularly if you do not see anything you want this week.
Today’s best home gym deals
- – $ 90 with coupon on the side, was $ 150
- – $ 120 with coupon on the side, was $ 200
- – $ 270 with coupon on the side, was $ 290
- – $ 320, was $ 400
- – $ 1399, was $ 2,000
- – $ 5,399, was $ 8,999
A beginner’s guide for the gym
A total home gym is a good equipment for your home gym, but there is much more to think about. It is good to start with a single piece of equipment and add gradually. Do not let start-up costs or other obstacles convince you to join a commercial gym anyway, not while coronavirus is a threat. Think of all the reasons why people prefer gyms.
Benefits of home gym
Just like with people who pay for gym memberships but never walk, building the perfect home gym will not improve your fitness or your health if you do not use it. Given the caveat that applies to any exercise equipment, here are some major benefits of home exercise.
- Short commute – You do not need to drive a car or take public transport to get to your home gym. Traffic is not a problem, and you do not have to fit your schedule around a gym’s calendar and daily hours.
- Wear what you want – The hassle of wearing an outfit to the gym, changing to exercise equipment and then changing again, maybe to a third outfit to go to the office? That inconvenience is gone with a home gym. As long as you are comfortable and safe, you can wear or not wear what you choose.
- No waiting – The No. 1 complication in many gyms and clubs is waiting for others to finish with equipment so you can get a ride. And if you feel pressured by the next people waiting to use the same machine or weights, it can ruin your concentration and your workout.
- No registrations or time limits – If you do not need to negotiate with family members, you should be free and clear to hop on your treadmill or cycle at home whenever and for as long as you want. If you have ever had the frustrating experience of signing up to use a machine that follows someone who does not show up on time, or at all, for their time slot, unlimited access to your home gym equipment is reason enough to dump the gym.
- You choose the music – Training for a playlist has many benefits, but it only works if you like the music. If you hate the music that blows through the gym, it’s hard to ignore.
- Nobody’s meeting you – Many people go to the gym for social purposes, which is good when others share the same agenda. However, unwanted attention is all too common for those who just want to stick to exercise.
- Avoid bacteria – You can keep your home gym equipment and area clean without having to worry about which bacteria are lurking by lots of people you do not know.
What you need
A total home gym is a good equipment for your home gym, but there is much more to think about. You do not have to buy everything at once, but over time it helps to build a set of complementary equipment. You can even break up your wish list for equipment and plan for the stages of a good workout.
- Heating – You may want to jump rope or march on the spot to start training, but you can also use any fitness equipment with low resistance settings. Five to ten minutes on a bike or treadmill is all you need, just to get your heart pumping faster and barely starting to sweat.
- Stretch – The second most valuable time to stretch is when you warm up and before you start your hard workout. Stretching cold muscles hurts and can also lead to injury. Bands, yoga mats and exercise balls of various kinds and sizes can all help with your stretching routine. This distance is the second preparation step before you start training, so do not go too hard or too long.
- Weight Training – Some days you will work with strength, so free weights and body gym are what you are looking for. Free weights range from light to heavy dumbbells to full sets of Olympic barbells and Smith machines or cages. If you use free weights, adjustable dumbbell sets may seem expensive, but they are a good deal compared to a whole set of 5- to 50-pound dumbbells. Adjustable dumbbells are also less likely to penetrate your training area than individual weights. Some total gyms use your body weight for resistance and others use iron (or sand or water-filled vinyl weights. Bowflex uses flexible resistance bars (hence the company name). A total gym can be your highest cost, so it’s a good idea) to try before you buy for to see if you like working with a specific style machine.
- Cardiovascular training – Cardio is a crucial element for fitness. You can get your fitness with regular bikes, indoor bikes, recumbent bikes, spinning bikes, treadmills, elliptical machines, treadmills and rowing machines. It’s great if you can mix up your cardio, but most start with a cardio machine, so choose the one you feel you will use consistently.
- Cool down – The most common way to cool down after a hard workout is to continue doing what you just did, but slower and with less force. If you do not have the strength to lift another weight, you can cycle slowly for 5 or 10 minutes with a little resistance.
- The last stretch – Not only will one last stretch help to relax your muscles and maybe train some kinks or tightness, the last stretch is when you can make your best gains in flexibility. Do not be afraid to stretch a little longer, a little harder and a little longer than during the first warm-up stretch.
- Environmental factors – The attitude and the environment can mean the difference between using a home gym only a few times or consistently. If you need temperature control, consider small fans, heaters or portable AC units. Music helps, so either an external sound system or a portable player can be part of your gym equipment. Access to drinking water is important and you may want to invest in a juicer or blender for health shakes or smoothies.
You do not have to spend a fortune
You can build a home gym around any budget, even first finding or using equipment. There are different price and quality levels in all categories of home gymnastics. If you are just starting out, you do not need to invest in professional or commercial equipment and machinery. If you buy free weights, start with a few and add more later. Sometimes you can find great deals on used exercise equipment, but looking for the manufacturer’s deals or refurbished equipment can also help you save a lot of money on your cheap home gym project.
Now that you have a gym sorted, why not check out our home offices? There you will find everything from discounted coffee mug heaters to cheap monitors.
Digital trends can earn commissions on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.