If you had a Yahoo account sometime between 2012 and 2016, you can now join a group agreement to compensate you for losses. For several years, hackers were able to access Yahoo user accounts and steal private emails, calendars and contacts in at least three separate attacks.
The violations ranged from two to 2012, where Yahoo said no data was taken, to a 2013 violation where hackers could access all more than 3 billion Yahoo accounts and steal names, email addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, password and answers to security questions.
Yahoo said that if you had an account sometime between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016 and reside in the United States or Israel, you are part of the settlement class and can claim part of the $ 117,500,000 settlement fund .
Find out if you are part of the settlement?
Yahoo said if you had a Yahoo account between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016 or received a data breach notification in 2016 or 2017 and are resident in the United States or Israel, you are a member of the settlement. You can contact the settlement administrator to confirm that you can participate in the settlement.
A qualified Yahoo account includes contacts with Yahoo Fantasy Sports, Yahoo Finance, Tumblr and Flickr.
How much money should you expect to receive?
The settlement provides a number of advantages to compensate those whose data were compromised in one hack. You can claim money and credit monitoring:
- At least two years of credit monitoring services provided by AllClearID. The service includes identity theft monitoring, up to $ 1 million in theft insurance and identity recovery assistant.
- A cash payment if you already have credit monitoring and protection services. Yahoo said the payment can range from less than $ 100 to a maximum of $ 358.80, depending on available funds for other benefits.
- Cash reimbursement to $ 25,000 to cover out-of-pocket costs of dealing with fraud and identity theft as a result of a crime. You can also file an application for compensation for up to 15 hours of your time that you have recovered after a crime.
- A refund of up to 25 percent of the amount you paid for a premium Yahoo account.
- A refund of up to 25 percent of the amount you paid for a Yahoo Small Business User email service, with a cap of $ 500 per year.
How do I apply?
You can file a claim as a basic account holder, a paid user, and a small business user. Israeli citizens must submit a separate application form. The settlement site has separate forms for each type of claim.
When is the deadline for filing a claim?
You must submit all application forms – either online or postmarked – by July 20, 2020.
The settlement is awaiting final court approval to be set for April 2, 2020. We will update this story as we learn more. In the meantime, here's a running list of the latest big data breaches and more on what to do if you're part of a data breach.